The entire extended family of our local church community would like to welcome you to Mother of God Orthodox Church located in Princeton, New Jersey. Mother of God Orthodox Church was founded in 1998 in Rocky Hill, New Jersey by a dedicated group of lay people, including Dr. Albert J. Raboteau and Jacqueline and Nicholas DeLarato. V. Reverend Father Paul Kucynda, the OCA priest in charge of OCA missions for the Diocese of New York and New Jersey, celebrated the first Divine Liturgy for the community in Rocky Hill. Archbishop Peter assigned Father John Cassar to serve the liturgical services of the mission, which he did for nearly 17 years. Because of steady growth, the church moved to a larger worship space at St. Joseph’s Seminary in Princeton, NJ on March 23, 2003. When St. Joseph's Seminary was no longer available to us, we began worshiping at Princeton Day School (PDS) on May 22, 2011. In March of 2015, Father Peter A. Baktis became the rector of MOG. On January 29, 2016, we moved into our permanent worship space at 904 Cherry Hill Road in Princeton, NJ. Mother of God, Joy of All Who Sorrow, is a local parish of the Orthodox Church in America; which by virtue of the Holy Spirit and continuing in the teaching and experience of the Apostles is a visible and historical continuation of the early church of Christ. We see ourselves as a community of believers called into unity by the Holy Trinity to become "saints" (1Cor. 1:2); to be the "Body of Christ" (1Cor. 12:27) and to manifest the Kingdom of God here and now.
St. Paul’s reference to the church as the "Body of Christ" reveals to us the very nature of the church. That is to say, the church is not just another human institution. Nor is it simply a collection of people who believe in Jesus. The church, by virtue of the gift of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost Sunday, forever remains to be the very presence of Christ. Thus, with faith, love, humility and God’s grace -- we at Mother of God -- fervently seek with fear and trembling, to actualize this great and holy vocation of being the "Body of Christ."
Presently, Mother of God, Joy of All Who Sorrow’s community consists of approximately 40 parishioners which includes about 10 children in our church school. With a significant number of converts entering our parish each year we are a community dedicated to growth in Christ. Our hope is that every person who is a member of our community will know what it means to be a member of a true Christian extended family; to know first hand, by our personal witness, what it means to be brothers and sisters in Our Lord Jesus Christ -- "God’s own special people" (1Peter 2:9).
We welcome all who seek to know Christ in His Word and in His Church.
(Commemorated October 24)
Joy of all who sorrow art thou
and protectress of the oppressed,
feeder of the hungry,
consolation of travelers,
haven for the tempest tossed,
visitation of the sick,
protection and aid for the infirm,
staff of old age,
O, all pure Mother of the Most High God,
Hasten, we pray, to save thy servants.
The wonderworking "Joy of All Who Sorrow" Icon of the Mother of God was glorified in the year 1688. Euphymia, the sister of Patriarch Joachim (1674-1690), lived at Moscow and suffered from an incurable illness for a long time. One morning during a time of prayer she heard a voice say, "Euphymia! Go to the temple of the Transfiguration of My Son; there you will find an icon called the "Joy of All Who Sorrow." Have the priest celebrate a Molieben with the blessing of water, and you will receive healing from sickness." Euphymia did as she was directed by the Most Holy Theotokos, and she was healed. This occurred on October 24, 1688.